Every website needs a CMS (Content Management System) in its backend, choosing the right CMS is a very challenging task. Once you choose a CMS and tool, later migrating to the next CMS can be very expensive. That’s why it is necessary to have some research while choosing CMS.
In this post, I will make your research task easier by explaining the difference between Django CMS and WordPress.
What is Django CMS?
Django is the most popular open-source web framework based on the Python programming language. Django CMS is an emerging platform that is used by organization and business websites. Django is used by popular websites like NASA and L’Oreal Men expert companies.
Features of Django CMS:
Security: Django is so popular because of its security features. Django has built-in security features and also aware the developers not to make security mistakes.
Versatile: Django can be used in any type of website from simple blog to ecommerce to scientific websites.
Rapid Web Development: Django is specially designed for rapid development. With the help of prebuilt libraries such as ORM (Object Relational Mapping) for database models.
When to use Django CMS?
- If you need to integrate some unique functionality on your website that is not offered by WordPress themes or plugins, then Django CMS is the best choice.
- If you want to protect your website and data from various malware and attacks, then Django is the best choice.
- If you want a strong user permission and role management functionality on your website, Django is the best choice.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a free open-source content management system written in PHP and MySQL. Developing a website on WordPress is so easy and cheaper than any other platform.
You can find themes and plugins on the Internet easily, most of them are free to install. You can find WordPress themes for your blog, portfolio, e-commerce, news portal or magazine sites easily. Most of the themes and plugins are freemium, you will be charged for extra features and support only. Installing themes and plugins is so easy too.
Features of WordPress:
- Easy to use and customize.
- Themes and plugins are available on the Internet.
- No need to hire a developer if your website is simple.
- Easy to deploy and the hosting charge is also cheaper.
- User management.
- Media files management.
- SEO friendly.
- Content management is so easy, you can create, update, delete, save as draft or publish without any headache.
- WordPress has a built-in comment system.
- Easy installation and upgrades.
- Custom post type for developers.
- Custom theme development based on client’s requirements.
- WordPress REST framework.
When to use WordPress?
- If you are new to web development and have basic understanding of HTML, CSS and Bootstrap, then WordPress is the best choice for you.
- If your budget is small.
- If you are familiar with WordPress security and know how to protect your website and data.
Key Difference between WordPress and Django CMS:
- WordPress is a free open-source CMS based on PHP and MySQL whereas Django is an open-source web framework based on Python.
- To create a website from WordPress, you don’t need to have high level coding skills whereas, in Django you need to have knowledge of Python and MVT.
- You can find various themes and plugins based on your requirement to develop a website on WordPress whereas, you have to start from scratch in Django.
- Django requires more attention for maintenance, security and technical aspects whereas WordPress releases frequent updates and it is maintained by official WP developers.
- To customize website design of a website, WordPress offers a built-in theme customizer functionality so that users no need to enter inside code. Whereas, Django doesn’t offer such built-in functionalities for customization.
Django CMS and WordPress both are good in their own aspects. Choosing one of them depends upon your requirements and budget.